I announced in Episode 65 of the Join Us in France Travel Podcast that I was going to write travel guides to go along with some of the podcast episodes. I’ve come to find out that it was easier said than done!
But, after spending 3 years of every spare minute producing the podcast, I decided it was time to put my fears aside and put my money where my mouth is. Last week I quit my job to dedicate myself to writing. I need to see where this effort will take me.
I am writing every day. I didn’t think that would ever happen, but here it is! At the same time surrounding myself with a team of professionals (cover designer, editors) who will assist me in creating the Addicted to France travel guides because it takes a lot of talent to make great books.
As I took my daily walk with the dogs this morning I was thinking about this: how do I strike the right tone? How do I inject my French voice into a field full of Anglo writers? How do I deliver superior value to my readers and make this successful commercially? I don’t have all the answers yet, but here are some of the guiding principles I will follow:
- I will tell it like it is. I am not beholden to anybody and will keep it that way.
- I will make the reader chuckle when possible. French people are an odd bunch, why not have fun with it?
- I will make it easy for readers to grab their Kindle or Smart Phone and have actionable travel information at their fingertip.
- I will share the joy of travel while helping to smooth out the small irritants that may come along uninvited.
- I will not try to be someone I’m not. I am a regular French person who doesn’t know everything be loves to explore.
This is an exciting new beginning for me, I hope the folks who have become fans of the show will come along for the ride and cheer me on as they have with the podcast. On to bigger and better things, woman!